Now that winter is over and spring is here, I feel like I could use a facial. Although there are numerous places to get one, most start at around $95. It's wonderful spending a morning or afternoon getting pampered at a spa but I don't always have the time or feel like spending the money.
Did you know you can give yourself a facial with ingredients you have in your kitchen? That's right! There are 100s of homemade recipes from facials to foot scrubs you can create in the privacy of your home for a fraction of what it would cost at a spa.
I know this isn't the typical recipe I post, but it's food, it's fresh and it's great for your skin and well-being.
My skin appeared dry today and I was tired, so I decided to pamper myself. With a cucumber and limes in the refrigerator, plus a full jar of honey in the cabinet, I decided to whip up a nice soothing facial for myself. One that heals, softens and moistures my skin, while promoting new cell growth. Just in time for the spring sunshine.
Who needs to go to the spa to have machines work on your skin, when you can let what nature has provided, gently revive it?
Here's a simple and nourishing facial recipe to enjoy, with ingredients you probably have at home already.
For the Scrub:
8 oz. (1 cup) honey
10 drops fresh lime juice
1 medium cucumber, thinly sliced (I use a mandoline - perfect slices every time)
- Cleanse your face with warm water and a clean wash cloth
- Mix the honey and lime juice together and massage into your face for 15 minutes. It will have a sticky, slippery sensation, but feels incredible! The lime peels away surface cells and the honey softens the skin.
- Wipe away the residue of honey with a wet, warm cloth. Pat dry.
- Neatly place the cucumber slices over your face and neck (you can cover your eyes and mouth if desired, but not necessary). Now relax, listen to some music - feel the coolness of the cucumber while it tightens your skin and replenishes moisture. You'll probably fall asleep!
- After a nice rest, remove the cucumbers and finish with a delicate moisturizer, if desired.